If you have an espresso machine or just love coffee and are wondering whether you can drink it with braces, you’re not alone. This is a question that lingers in the minds of many people who wear braces.
Whether wearing traditional or clear braces, it’s important to learn more about drinking coffee with orthodontic appliances. Essentially, drinking coffee with braces is a complicated affair in different ways.
This article will help you get the information you need about the subject.
For those who Wear Invisalign Aligners
If you’ve opted for Invisalign aligners, the braces you wear will be clear. They aren’t as conspicuous as traditional braces. So, if you’ve chosen to settle on these braces, can you drink coffee with them on? The answer to this critical question is an emphatic no.
Drinking espresso with your Invisalign aligners on is not prudent because they can get deformed. Deformation means that the Invisalign trays will lose their shape. Consequently, they won’t be able to achieve their purpose.
The best thing about coffee is taking it hot. The disadvantage is that you can’t take a hot beverage while wearing your Invisalign trays. The result will be deforming them and negatively affecting the teeth straightening process. The procedure will experience a significant setback, and you won’t get the results you’ll be looking for.
Something else that coffee does is stain your aligners. Imagine having to wear stained Invisalign aligners. Indeed, this is a contradiction to their purpose. Instead of them being clear braces, they will be conspicuous in your mouth. You should take care of them, so they are not visible to the naked eye.
If you have to drink coffee, remove Invisalign aligners before drinking. The good thing about them is that they are easy to remove. Once you’re through with taking your hot cup of coffee, make sure you brush your teeth properly before putting the aligners back in. Taking care of your Invisalign aligners is imperative because once they lose their shape, they won’t give you optimal results.
There are essential things to take note of if you wear clear braces (Invisalign aligners)
- Hot coffee has the potential to deform the plastic of your aligners. Fundamentally, these aligners should have a perfect fit in the mouth. They usually take the shape of a user’s mouth to fit tightly. If they become loose because of drinking hot coffee, they won’t achieve their purpose.
- Avoid taking coffee with Invisalign aligners because the trays will get stained. If you have to take it with them, you can use a straw to reduce the possibility of getting stained. Remember, stained trays are against the reason for wearing them because they should be invisible to the eye.
- If you have to drink coffee and you’re not using a straw, remove the trays before you drink your beverage. Afterward, ensure they are clean and brush your teeth well before putting the trays back on.
By the way: Decaf coffee will stain your teeth much less than a caffeinated cup of coffee.
For those who wear Traditional Braces
If traditional braces are your preferred option, you’ll have to do more to maintain them.
Let’s begin by saying that drinking coffee with your braces is not a good idea because they’ll get stained. Your braces and teeth have a higher likelihood of staining after taking coffee, so maintaining cleanliness is a priority. However, if you have to drink coffee with traditional braces, you must ensure that your teeth are clean every time.
Drinking your cup of coffee using a straw is advisable to avoid staining your teeth and braces. If this isn’t an option, ensure you brush your teeth and rinse your mouth thoroughly.
Essential things to take note of for traditional braces users:
- Dark-colored beverages like coffee have the tendency to stain braces and the teeth of users
- Never forget to rinse your mouth thoroughly if you have to drink coffee
- If you notice stains on your braces, you should consider teeth whitening
How to Protect your Braces from Stains
If you wear braces and coffee is a drink you can’t avoid, you need to find ways to prevent staining. Here are ways you can make use of to prevent staining when taking your coffee drinks:
- Use a Straw – If you wear braces, you must be very careful when drinking coffee. As you now know, braces are vulnerable to stains from coffee. For this reason, finding another way of drinking is crucial. You can opt for using a straw. Using a straw will ensure you reduce the possibility of staining your teeth and braces. So, get a quality straw you can re-use and use it for drinking your coffee. Make sure that the coffee is neither too hot nor too cold so that you take it without problems.
- Drink Diluted Coffee – Diluting your coffee drink significantly reduces the chances it stains your braces and teeth. The possibility of staining your teeth and props if you drink concentrated coffee is high. So, it is advisable to dilute it with milk to reduce the degree of staining.
- Mouth Rinsing After Drinking Coffee – Rinsing thoroughly after drinking coffee is another tip for reducing stains sticking on your teeth and braces. Doing this immediately after a cup of coffee helps keep stain levels down. This is not hard to do, but you have to be consistent.
Drinking Coffee With Braces – Final thoughts
Indeed, it is not advisable to drink coffee with braces because it has consequences.
If you have braces, it is advisable to avoid drinking coffee. Staining of braces and teeth, as well as affecting the treatment procedure, are effects of drinking coffee. This is the best decision.
Your braces will serve you effectively if you’re consistent in taking care of them. However, if you feel it’s challenging to quit coffee altogether, take the necessary steps to avoid staining your braces and teeth. It will also help you prevent deforming the orthodontic appliances.